Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Return of the Saints

Posted by Picasa

Being a glory hunting, coming out of the woodwork, kind of St. Mirren fan, I went to Love Street to watch my team play their final game in the Bell's First Division for hopefully the last time. It was the last game of the season and our oponents were St. Johnstone, who put up a good challenge for the title too.

I had arranged to meet Alan and Margaret McCready before the game, but as is always the case with me, I was running late. Not to worry though as when I caught up with them their were still in the pub and were in no great hurry to get there.

Alan was obviously intending to make the most of the celebrations and had already had a few beers. However, I think that Margaret was slightly less than impressed with her fella's shenanigans!

Anyway, we finally made it to the game for 3.15 to find a huge home crowd already there. The official attendace was around 6,500, but I think there were a couple of thousand extra attending, at least.

The game itself was a bit poor and unfortunately we lost 1-0, but who cares? We had already secured promotion and next year we would be playing with the big boys; Celtic, Rangers, Hearts. I cannot wait!

Here are a few snaps from the game....


Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

At full time Gus MacPherson's men were presented with the First Division trophy followed by a victory circuit around the pitch. The crowd sang and cheered their heroes and it was 5.15 before we finally departed for the pub.

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

We ended up in The Wee Howff which was chock-a-block full of Saints fans. Not a bad pint either which is always a bonus. It was so busy inside that we had spilled out onto Love Street itself and we stood in the sun while we waited for the players to arrive on their tour of the town in an open top bus.

At 6.30 they finally drove past and stopped outside the pub to wave to the fans, before driving onto the town centre where a huge crowd had gathered outside Paisley Abbey. It was just like when we won the Scottish Cup back in 1987. Happy memories!

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

I had to make my excuses and move on as I was meeting my mate up in Glasgow for a night out and as usual I was running late. I promised Alan and Margaret that I would see them at the home games next season. A promise that I intend to keep.

I jumped on the train for home and left all the Paisley Buddies to have a party. It was going to be a long night.....