Saturday, May 31, 2008

Life Begins At 39!

Today I reached the grand old age of 39!

Normally to celebrate me clocking up another year, we go camping to Loch Lomond, however I wanted to do things a little bit differently this time and broke with tradition to do other things rather than get eaten alive by midges, 'borrow' firewood and binge drink round the camp fire.

Something a bit more energetic was called for and that was to come first of all in the shape of a 10k run in Greenock with Jim Arthur and Stewart from BMF.

We headed down around midday and after getting lost several times along the way, we found the destination which bizzarely was a house in the middle of an estate. We payed our £5 to register and joined the other 50-odd people who were taking part.

The organiser explained that the course would start at a lampost and end at a bus stop accross the road. Not exactly of the kind of grand send off that I am used to at the Glasgow Half Marathon, but it was ok.

As you can see from the 'before' picture below, we were bright eyed and bushy tailed at the start of the race, however with temperature in the mid 70's and the sun blazing down, we would not be looking as fresh for very long.

At exactly 2.00 we were off round the course with me trying my best to keep up with the Bellahouston Harriers, but a third of the way into it they were beginning to pass me. I am probably fitter than I have been for a long time just now, but I just could not catch the buggers!

After the half was stage I decided to take my foot off the gas to try and pace Jim so that he would get a better time. Stewart was running with him giving him lots of encouragement to help him along.

My contribution was to let him get as close as 10 feet away from me then shout at him to 'come on, hurry up'. After doing this several times I could see the hate in Jim's eyes!

Anyway, I finished in a respectable 48 miutes dead with Jim and Stewart finishing just behind me.

We headed back to the house for some water, juice and some 'light' refreshment (see below).

And as you can see from the 'after' picture below, we were not looking quite as fresh after running for an hour in the heat.

Jim suggested that we head to the Uplawmoor Hotel for acouple of beers and 45 minutes later we were sitting in the beer garden with pints of Stella for Jim and I and a coke for the driver, Stewart.

As we sat there, Ginger Baws and Nippy Sweetie rang from Australia to wish me happy birthday and it gave Jim a chance to chat to them to as he hadnt spoken to them since they left.

Stewart was kind enough to drop me off at home around 6.30 and I had a bit of a mad dash to get ready to go out that night.

My friend, Susie was taking me out for dinner, then on to see her Sister in concert and then onto her other friends birthday party for a while.

She picked me up at 7.30 and we headed up to La Tasca at Silverburn to share some Tapas. Thorougly enjoyable, but the service was a bit slow. Does it really take 10 minutes to pour a diet coke? I don't think so!

We left around 9.15 to make our way up to Barrowlands for her Sister coming on stage at 10.00. Princess Drama Queen got us there in plenty of time and it was into the Barrowlands to meet all her family and friends for the first time, with the exception of her Mum who I already knew.

They all seem like I nice bunch and her Mum had me laughing by chatting away to me and exclaiming that there were 'loads of lesbians in tonight!'

Susie's Sister, Jill came on stage just after 10.00. I had only previously seen clips that Susie had shown me from Youtube of her Sister singing with her group Speedway, but she was really good. See video clip below.

I particularly liked her cover of Apologise (by One Republic). Really cool.

I met her hot Sisters Jill and Diane after the show :) before we said our goodbyes and headed off to our next venue, Parkhead where Susies's friend was celebrating her 30th birthday.

Her pal works on River Titty and even though I don't watch it, I recognised a few faces and it was nice to see that even soap stars can be drunken fannies just like me and my mates!!!

The party went on until just after 1.00 and then we headed for home with Susie dropping me off not long before 2.00.

I had a really good birthday doing something a bit different, which was cool. However, it had been a long day and I was glad to climb into bed.

I contemplated briefly going to the running club but decided to have along lie instead.

After all, a man of my age needs his sleep!!!