Thursday, January 26, 2006

Last Day at Uni

After three years of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, and having to sit next to Liz, today was my final day (for the time being) as a student at the University of Paisley.

The day started with Liz picking me up at home and driving us into Paisley. Unfortunately there was no time to get a caffeine infusion from “Tommy’s Tasty Bites” before our first lecture as we arrived with only a couple of minutes to spare.

Posted by Picasa
Collette, Liz, Michelle, me & Paula

Posted by Picasa
The Cheeky Girls!

There was a definite “last day at school” kind of atmosphere with a lot of the kids in the class chatting and giggling during the lectures, myself included! Lynn Brown and Moya Paton did their best to keep order while we misbehaved and occasionally listened to what was being taught.

Posted by Picasa
Liz demonstrates a good place to park your bike!

After lunch in the Union, Liz, Paula, Michelle and I headed back to “G” block, our home (for the most part) for the last three years for the final stint. Simon Carr was up next with a Career Development lecture. I must admit that I haven’t thought too far ahead about career development as I am just grateful to have got a job in the first place in the ward that I wanted.

At the end of the day Lyn had organised a Farewell Quiz for the class. Angela presented our class rep, Tracy with flowers, chocolates and wine for her hard work over the last three years and I asked the class to pose for a couple of pictures and endeared myself no end to them by asking the ugly ones to move to the back of the class!

Posted by Picasa
Class rep, Tracy recieves her gifts

Posted by Picasa
My fellow classmates

Posted by Picasa
Lynn gets the quiz underway

Any sign of good will to all students quickly disappeared as we split into teams with everyone wanting their hands on the prize of Paisley University t-shirts with “February 2003 – Simply the Best” printed on the back.

Team names were chosen and Lyn donned a traditional nurses’ hat to show that she was the Quiz Master, with Moya’s hat designating her Ref, with a warning stating “do not argue!”. The judge’s hammer she was brandishing left us in no doubt of the power she possessed to add on and take away points at her discretion!

As the quiz progressed, Midge and Ann joined us and chaos ensued! Midge brought in her 1st year class from next door and they arrived just in time to try and identify the pictures of our lecturers, when they were kids. There was much hilarity and “Judge Moya” had to issue yellow cards to several teams for their cheek.

Posted by Picasa
Anne Robinson, eat your heart out!

Posted by Picasa
Midge,Lynn,Ann & Moya

As the points were totalled, my team (me, Liz, Paula, Michelle, and her bump) were in the lead for quite a while until a team on the other side of the room burst our bubble with a superior score. Alas, the t-shirts were not for us.

Posted by Picasa
Gillian shows off her prize

And so, it was time to go. We had come to the end. Some of us had diplomas, some of us had degrees, some had jobs and some didn’t (yet). This would be the last time that I would see many of the people that I have sat in the classroom with for three years. I have made new friends, got a job that I love doing and hopefully, will be as good a nurse as I intend to be, as will my fellow class mates.
Like the t-shirt says:

FEBRUARY 2003-SIMPLY THE BEST!

Posted by Picasa
John and friends

Posted by Picasa
Sandra and friends

Posted by Picasa
Staff Nurse Cumming and friends

Posted by Picasa
The entire Class of 2003

 Posted by Picasa
A selection of snaps...